Wednesday 17 February 2010

The Holy Spirit is not a Western-Counsellor

Psalm 37:4 4 Delight yourself in the LORD, and he will give you the desires of your heart.

Cf this post on Glen's blog: http://christthetruth.wordpress.com/2010/02/04/god-is-a-haggler/

Lately I've asked someone to give me some training on Biblical counseling,
he made an interesting observation:

"We in Asia don't act the same way as Western counselors
when people come to us with a problem - they actually want a solution"

Actually I've realised that when I come to spend time with God,
I have "gotten past" the - 'here is my shopping list God' stage
and into the more 'spiritual' stage of 'just-listening'
but i wonder if i was actually listening,
actually now i think i've come to God simply just to feel better

The Spirit is there to counsel, meaning to intercede
to search my heart and take my desires to my Father,
and compare them with His heart, and respond with an answer

He is meant to grant me my desires - if they match His
So does He deal with Christ - and gives Him the desires of His heart - which are also the desires of His Father's heart

therefore my position in prayer is one of pleading, either for myself or for others
Jeremiah 27:18 18 If they are prophets, and if the word of the LORD is with them, then let them intercede with the LORD of hosts,

My other position in prayer therefore is wrestling
- i.e. Gethsemane
From reading His Word i realise that my desires do not match His desires, and I must wrestle with Him until I submit and accept His will
only then is there peace and even future joy

Therefore I do not just come to 'feel good'
but to petition and to wrestle with my flesh
The Spirit will probe and poke me and guide me until I am matching Christ's mind
thus the more I spend with Him - the more He counsels

Perhaps something like that?

No comments: