Monday 16 August 2010

Love Languages

Anyone ever posted thoughts on the 5 love language thingy?

Been wondering about it..

I figure the reason we are unable to communicate in any type of love is not because of personality types - but rather sin

since love is a fruit rather than a gift...
and because very young children are quite receptive to all the languages usually - and quite unable to give it out in any language

then surely the goal would be to find the 'right language' to minister to them
but then to grow to be able to both receive and give in every language..

after all the Spirit is a Spirit of all tongues?

6 comments:

Dave K said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Dave K said...

One critique is David Powlison's. A bit different to yours. I haven't given it as much thought as I should have done.

yemsee said...

very interesting..

thanks Dave

Anonymous said...

at least one thing love languages does is diagnose my sinfulness in gushing out only the kind of love I'd like to get back. I'm basically hoping you'll pick up my language and reflect it back. And/or I'm just enjoying the venting of 'love-feelings' rather than actually, concretely, practically serving you.

The really dangerous thing in 'love languages' is the 'love tank' idea that it's normally built upon: ie the idea that I have a love tank and my spouse needs to fill it. Gary Whatshisname dedicated his love languages book to his wife with words something like "To my darling wife, who, because she's always kept my love tank full, I've never had to look elsewhere."

Less of a dedication, more of a threat I'd say...

Glen said...

Oh - almost forgot - Half-Ton-Man's wife had clearly read the Love Languages book when she fed him junk food till he died:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCW475OILw

"You've got to show love in the way that he understands it."

yemsee said...

ouch...